Saturday 30 November 2013

Dark Spell

Dark Spell by Gill Arbuthnott

Dark Spell
Fifteen-year-year-old Callie Hall has just found out that she is a witch...and things keep going wrong. Sometimes her mind seems to make things happen, things she cannot control. She can set fire to things without a match, and when she's angry people can get hurt. Her friend Josh understands that she's a bit strange, but it is only on a dark and dangerous visit to the tunnels beneath the ruins of St Andrews' castle that he realizes just how strange she really is. Something comes back with Callie... in Callie... something she cannot escape. Can Callie control her power long enough to send back the darkness before it takes over her life? Will Josh ever understand her secret?
A brilliant, engrossing young peoples fantasy from the author of Winterbringers and The Keepers Daughter.    (Ages 11-13).




Shona's review 4 of 5 stars

Oh how I wish I had seen the age brackets when I requested this from NetGalley. As I was reading though, I realised this was definitely not a young adult book and was instead a novel for young teens.  That said though, I still found it to be a rather enjoyable easy read, so much so that i read this in one sitting.

This is a coming of age story, friendships, adventure and self acceptance. This book shows that not all stories have to be filled with love interests to be interesting and doesn't have to be filled with gory details to have scary parts.

My daughter is always asking for good books to read and I sometimes struggle with finding books for her so I am thankful that i happened across this one. I will definitely be recommending she reads this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.