Thursday 12 December 2013

Sallie Lundy-Frommer: Christmas For Authors

Why Vampires, why did I write about about vampires when there are so many out there.

Why my subconscious selected these mythical creatures as inspiration, that’s open to speculation. Since I don’t have access to a psychiatrist or someone to analyse my dreams, I’ll take a stab at it answering the question of why I chose to write about vampires….:-)
The easy answer would be to say that I’m a huge fan of vampire books and moves. I’ve seen every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and watched Christopher Lee drain more than a few damsels in distress. I read Stephen King’s, Salem’s Lot and the first time I saw the movie, I had nightmares for a couple of weeks. And let’s not forget Octavia Butler’s, Fledgling. Who can forget Shori who appears to be a child of maybe eleven years,but is actually 53 year old.


I could say that all those books and movies going in my head like quarters in a slot machine were bound to produce like output eventually. I’m sure that's part of it. But, when I search deep, what draws me to vampires is time. They have time to experience life, experiment, make mistakes, and witness the great and small. When you compare the lives of vampires to humans, you can’t help but be struck by fleeting span of the human life. The idea of creating characters that may have lived at the time of Mark Anthony, discussed brush strokes with Michael Angelo or watched the sky as the Russian Sputnik passed causes my imagination to churn with possibilities of what characters can do when they are not constrained by time. There is so much opportunity to create enormous literary canvas when my characters are not married to specific era.
Because vampire are “tried and true” or a staple in the paranormal world so it can be a challenge to differentiate ones work from another. But, Yesterday’s Daughter is different because it reflects contemporary society encouraging the reader will consider their feelings about people who seem different from them, the assumptions we may make about other groups, and the consequences of those assumptions.

Follower links

Buy links


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.