Monday 10 March 2014

The Shock of the Fall Review


 

Book Synopsis

‘I’ll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name’s Simon. I think you’re going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he’ll be dead. And he was never the same after that.’

There are books you can’t stop reading, which keep you up all night.

There are books which let us into the hidden parts of life and make them vividly real.

There are books which, because of the sheer skill with which every word is chosen, linger in your mind for days.

The Shock of the Fall is all of these books.

The Shock of the Fall is an extraordinary portrait of one man’s descent into mental illness. It is a brave and groundbreaking novel from one of the most exciting new voices in fiction

Claire's Review 5 of 5 Stars

Firstly a big thank you to Harper Collins for providing me with a review copy of The Shock of the Fall. After reading the synopsis I was drawn in to wanting to read more although apprehensive at the same time at facing the trials of mental illness.

I was not disappointed! The Shock of the Fall was a great read and had me hooked from the first page! It was unlike anything I have read before and I found myself intrigued by Matthews life and on an emotional roller coaster reading what he had gone through with the death of his brother.

The author is a qualified mental health nurse and this shines through in the accuracy of the writing and not once did i doubt the story, in fact a lot of the time it read to me more like a biography than fiction and I had to keep reminding myself it wasn't a true story!

I would definitely recommend The Shock of the Fall. It was a good read that kept you hooked into the story, a definite page turner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.