Sunday 16 November 2014

Review: Crocheter's Skill-Building Workshop by Dora Ohrensein

The Crocheter's Skill-Building Workshop
This fresh, fun guide from expert Dora Ohrenstein covers all of the basic crochet techniques and so much more, from choosing yarns to finishing! It includes more than 70 stitch-along swatches that each teach a particular technique, as well as five projects (a hat, shawl, neck warmer, bag, and scarf) that put those techniques to use. The swatches offer not just a variety of stitch patterns but also a variety of shapes and can serve as the building blocks for sophisticated and creative projects of your own design.


Shona's review 4 of 5 stars

As someone who taught myself to crochet using video clips on youtube, its great to finally find a book that helps hone my skills. Ohrenstein is also self taught, so maybe that is part of what makes this book so helpful. While she has given us written explanations, there are many step by step photo's to help. And not just for the different stitches, but for tension too. Its easy(ish) to see when crocheting if your tension is too tight, or too lose, but usually not until you have completed many stitches or rows, with the photo tutorial in the book you get a clear look at what stitches look like when made too lose or tight.

The chapter on shaping is invaluable, I find sometimes that when it comes to shaping with anything beyond a simple stitch I get confused and inevitably miscount. Now I have a whole section to reference when working increases or decreases into intricate patterns.

I think it's safe to say that I need a hard copy of this book for my shelf. There are so many tips in this that I know I will use it often... not to mention the new to me stitches and the fab looking projects in the back of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.