Tuesday 27 January 2015

Review: The ice Twins by S.K Tremayne

The Ice Twins
A year after one of their identical twin daughters, Lydia, dies in an accident, Angus and Sarah Moorcraft move to the tiny Scottish island Angus inherited from his grandmother, hoping to put together the pieces of their shattered lives.
But when their surviving daughter, Kirstie, claims they have mistaken her identity – that she, in fact, is Lydia – their world comes crashing down once again.
As winter encroaches, Angus is forced to travel away from the island for work, Sarah is feeling isolated, and Kirstie (or is it Lydia?) is growing more disturbed. When a violent storm leaves Sarah and her daughter stranded, Sarah finds herself tortured by the past – what really happened on that fateful day one of her daughters died?

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars 

I received a copy of this book last year from the publishers HarperCollins, included in the package were some photographs (of the lighthouse, the inside of the house and the sea) and a letter from Sarah (the mother) to her friend Immy. I read the writing on the back of the book
"I am Kirstie 
I am Lydia
I am confident and loud. 
I am thoughtful and quiet. 
I lived. 
I died. 
Or did I?" 
and I read the letter to Immy and I was immediately intrigued and quite frankly chilled to the bone. This book was giving me the willies and I hadn't even peeked inside yet. I was rather desperate to read it but I had other commitments. In the meantime this book sat on my shelf and called to me until I finally had time to give it my full attention.

The first few pages were not what I was expecting. To be honest I actually thought we would witness the accident that robbed Sarah and Angus of their daughter, instead we join the story almost 14 months later with The Moorcrofts trying to pack up their lives in London and start anew on their abandoned family island in Scotland. Tremayne does a marvellous job of giving us just enough information to whet your appetite and leave you begging for more. 

This book called to me from the bookshelf before I started reading and it continued to call to me whenever I would put the book down.  It is haunting, dark, beautifully written, intense and so compelling you have to read on. Dont be fooled into thinking this story is just about a case of mistaken identity, this is a full on suspense thriller that will have you questioning everyone and everything. And it will stay with you, in those times when you're not reading and even after you have finished, you will still be thinking of Sarah, Angus and their Ice Twins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.