Thursday 27 August 2015

Review: Out of the Darkness by Katy Hogan

Out of the Darkness: A tale of love, loss and life after death
Does everything in life happen purely by chance? Or are we guided towards people who can help us in our hour of need?Following the sudden death of her beloved mother, Jessica Gibson's world falls apart. But after meeting a man who seems heaven-sent, she starts to feel she has something to live for again, and soon discovers that their connection holds far more significance than she could ever have imagined. And when Jessica strikes an unlikely bond with Alexandra Green, the two new friends are taken on an emotional journey into the world of the supernatural, where psychic mediums pass on messages from beyond the grave. What -- or who -- is causing the strange goings-on in Alex's home? What secret is she keeping from Jessica? And who is the young woman who so badly needs their help? In a series of surprising twists and turns, the pieces of the puzzle finally fall into place and a mystery is unwittingly solved -- with life-changing consequences for all involved.
'Out of the Darkness' is an uplifting tale of friendship and redemption; of love and loss. And life...after death.

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

Initially I didn't like Jessica, yes I know she was still deep within the grip of grief after losing her mother, but she was so closed off from everyone, that if anyone so much as looked at her she'd scowl and I truly wondered how I could possibly like her, even making allowances for her grief. And then Finn happened. I wish so much that we had gotten to see more of him, because he truly was like a ray of sunshine for Jessica. In that moment, he was exactly what she needed to lift her spirits. And I'll be honest, I'm surprised that when we jumped to four months later and Finn wasn't in the picture, I was surprised that Jessica hadn't allowed herself to spiral back down in to the pits of despair where she had been. This girl had found her inner strength... or at least a little part of it. And so I was sucked in..

This book is well written and it's hard to believe that this is Hogans debut novel. The pace of this story and the way it unfolds it fantastic, I will admit that I began to piece some of the puzzle pieces together a little earlier in the story than we were shown, but some of the twists completely blindsided me. I wont give you spoilers because personally I hate them, but there were a few places where I can honestly say the emotion of this book hit me hard. This truly is a tale of love, loss and life after death...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.