Monday 12 October 2015

Author of the Month DT Dyllin Interview

DT Dyllin writes both paranormal and contemporary romance. Anything with a love story is her kyrptonite. Her obsession with affairs-of-the-heart is what first drove her to begin twisting her own tales of scorching romance. DT was brn and raised in PIttsburgh, Pennsylvania, (Black & Gld for life, baby!) She now lives in Little Rock Arkansas with her husband and two spoiled German Shepherds.

Social Media Links 

 Website  /  Facebook  /  Twitter  /  Goodreads 


Hello and welcome to Booky Ramblings of a Neurotic Mom
What inspired you to write your first book?

Hoooly crap! It feels like twenty million years ago since I wrote my first book. I could give you a load of B.S. right about now for my answer, but to be truthful, I honestly don’t remember the specifics of what inspired the idea. A lot of my inspiration comes from my messed up dreams. So probably that. Ummm…Yeah…that. lol




Do you have a specific writing style?
Seriously… These questions are deceptively easy. Easy peasy, right? Nope. As I go to answer each of them my brain is blank. I feel like I’m back in school and I just got handed a pop quiz. My style of writing is… damned if I know. Next question, please! Eeep!


How did you come up with the title of your current/recent book?
Finally something I can answer. Sort of. Do you mean my current published title, or… Ummm… I’m just going to go with what’s coming out next month. (Or this month when this interview is posted.) Cado is the title, and I came up with it because it’s latin for: to fall, drop, plummet, topple. I originally wanted to call it Falling but it seems tons of people beat me to the punch on that one. So boom… Cado.


Is there a message in your novel(s) that you want readers to grasp?
There is and there isn’t. One of my favorite quotes is:

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. ~Lex Luther (Superman)

Basically apply that quote to my books. ;)


Are your novels based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
All of my novels have pieces of my life in them. I write what I know in the sense that I use my real-life experiences and twist them for use in my books. A recent book I wrote Blackbird, I used my knowledge of the music industry because I had a publishing deal in Nashville. In Feeling Death I used the setting of Club Elite (a strip club) at the beginning of the book because I actually bartended there. I could go on, but I’m pretty sure you get the point.


Which of your novels have influenced your life the most?
I suppose I could say my first one, Hidden Gates, because it’s what caused me to change career paths from songwriter to author. It made me realize that I needed more from writing, and novels gave it to me.


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Ummm… Another tough question. I’d have to say, and this is not a cop-out, I swear. Every author that I read as an adolescent. There are just too many to list.


What book are you reading now?
I’m re-reading my book Cado for the umpteenth time, getting ready to send it off to be formatted. Then I’m finally going to have some time to do some reading just for fun. I’m not sure what I’ll be reading yet though. I can’t wait to peruse new titles to find out! I’ll probably be asking people on Facebook for suggestions soon.


What are your current projects?
Since I’m answering these interview questions a tad before they’re actually going to post, currently, like I said, Cado, (by the time this posts it will be releasing) and I just finished writing Villainess yesterday, which is slated to release in January. Next week I’m going to start V-Day, which is the final installment of my M-Day series.


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
Weeeell… Since I just finished writing Villainess yesterday, I will change stuff when I go back through on revision. heh. I know the question probably is referring to my latest published book, but I always want to change stuff so I try not to dwell on things I can’t, and focus on the things I can change.


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I’ve always been an avid reader, so I suppose the progression to create my own written words was a natural one, although I did start with songwriting first.


Can you share a little of your current work with us?
Sure thaaaaang. I’ll share the prologue from Cado:

This is not a confessional.

This is not a tale of redemption.

There will be no happy ending, and no epic revelations that result in the expulsion of my inner demons.

I am who I am…a mirage—a carefully fabricated image—a lie. Every piece of me down to the shade of my nail polish is designed to fool you. Perfection is my goal, and on the outside I’ve reached it. But on the inside—on the inside I’m broken—shattered.

I live to punish, to deal out revenge… To serve as karma.
Don’t begin to imagine that I can be fixed for I am beyond repair.


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Yes, trying not to swear like a sailor. My favorite noun, adjective etc… Is the F-bomb. If I put it in my MS like I feel is natural usage, people would probably run for the hills.


Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?
Nope. I hardly travel at all. I’m trying to add in more conventions and stuff, for instance, I’m going to RT in 2016. Whoot-whoot!


Who designs your covers?
Lindsay Tiry from LT Arts. She’s done all of my covers from the beginning, and when I became an Indie Author I kept using her. I love her so much!


What was the hardest part of writing your most recent book?
This I’ll answer about Villainess. It was hard not getting carried away and killing too many people off. The struggle for me is real with killing people in my books. Sometimes I just want to pull out a metaphorical machine gun and level the place. Somehow I managed to restrain myself.


Do you have any advice for other writers?
Ummm… It’s not a zero sum game out there peeps. Don’t compare yourselves to other writers in any way. There is room for success for everyone.


Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Yes. I love each and every one of you! I’d be absolutely nowhere without you! Big booky hugs!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.