Tuesday 12 April 2016

Review: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Me Before You (Me Before You, #1)
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.
What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.
Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars


It's not often I finish a book and struggle with coherent thought, but here I am. An hour after finishing the book and I can still feel the tension behind my eyes that reminds me of the ugly crying I did whilst reading this book. Not just because it was painfully sad, but because it was painfully beautiful too.
I didn't really read the blurb but I had heard enough from other people to be intrigued by the story, so I was a little confused as to what was happening in the beginning before realising that Louisa and Will didn't know each other at the beginning of the story. Despite the confusion, there was something in those early chapters that kept me reading. This book had me hooked so tightly that I read most of it in one sitting. In fact the only time I actually put the book down was to dry my tears and catch my breath before continuing on,
I loved the budding relationship between Will and Lou. When she discovers the secret his family are keeping from her she is devastated, and even though they barely like each other I love that she tries even harder to help him. Its easy to imagine that in this scenario that Lou is the one helping Will, but in so many ways Will is the one helping Lou. And it was amazing, and heartbreaking to see her grow  herself.
Moyles has taken a very sensitive subject and has handled it marvellously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.