Tuesday 9 August 2016

Review: The Sunshine And Biscotti Club by Jenny Oliver

The Sunshine And Biscotti Club: The perfect summer read for your next holiday
Moving to Italy to set up a baking club is a dream come true…
…until Libby catches her husband cheating just weeks before The Sunshine and Biscotti Club opens its doors.
With the first wave of guests set to arrive any day, Libby has no choice but to tie on her apron and get set to bake. But with a dash of sunshine and a sprinkling of old friends, Libby’s kitchen nightmare might just become the best thing that’s ever happened to her.
After all, you can’t bake biscotti without breaking a few eggs…
For guaranteed sunshine all holiday long, pack your bags and escape to The Sunshine and Biscotti Club – the irresistible new book from Jenny Oliver!

Shona's review 4 of 5 stars

This book was a bit of a slow burner for me. It's told from the POV of Libby, Eve and Jessica, and in the beginning, despite the chapter headers telling you who was narrating, there wasn't really anything clearly defining each of the three women. As the book progressed I felt Eve really found her voice and stood out, but it seemed to take a lot longer for Libby and Jessica to stand out from the page for me. Perhaps this was in part due to the fact that it took both ladies quite a way through the books to be open and honest with themselves, as they relaxed their 'voices' became clearer. And the book became far easier to relax in to and lose myself in.

The book opens with Libby confronting her husband Jake about his affair, him walking out on her and the hotel they have been renovating. After a few phone calls her friends rally round and come out to Italy to help out. Each one bringing with them some personal baggage that needs working out and some unresolved romantic interests from their younger days. As each and every one of them come to terms with their pasts, presents and futures, there's a real warmth emanating from the pages as this group of friends reconnect and their friendships strengthen as a result.

I'll be perfectly honest, I was sure I knew how this was going to end. Convinced I knew who was going to end up with who... but I was wrong. And I love that I was wrong. This is my first time reading anything by Jenny Oliver, but after Sunshine and Biscotti I think it's safe to say this wont be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.