Thursday 22 September 2016

Review: The Day I Lost You by Fionnuala Kearney

The Day I Lost YouTHE DAY I LOST YOU WAS THE DAY I DISCOVERED I NEVER REALLY KNEW YOU
When Jess’s daughter, Anna, is reported lost in an avalanche, everything changes.
Jess’s first instinct is to protect Rose, Anna’s five-year-old daughter. But then she starts to uncover Anna’s other life - unearthing a secret that alters their whole world irrevocably . . .
THE DAY I LOST YOU WAS THE DAY YOU TORE OUR FAMILY APART.

The perfect emotional and absorbing story for fans of Jojo Moyes and David Nicholls.

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

Wow, its been almost 12 hours since I finished this book and I'm still not sure I've processed it yet. This book is fraught with emotion and mystery. From the very first page you can feel Jess's anguish and in some places I honestly thought my heart was going to break for her and her family. 

The story unfold in two ways; from Jess and Theo's (Jess's best friend) POV after Anna has been lost to the avalanche and from snippets from Anna's blog from before she goes missing, I love Anna's snippets, it gives you a real sense of knowing her outside of her mother.  It's clear from very early on that people are keeping secrets, the question is who exactly are keeping secrets and how many people know? Secrets that will keep you turning the pages until the very end.

This story is a tale of love and loss. And Kearney has handled it beautifully. She has written beautiful characters, none of which are perfect but who are the perfect mix of strong but needy, and flawed in just the right way that makes them human and has us cheering them on, hoping they can be happy, find peace, find love.

This is the first time I have read anything written by Kearney, but it certainly wont be my last. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.