Monday 23 December 2013

S.L. Dearing: Christmas For Authors

Book Ramblings by S.L. Dearing

Well an opportunity to ramble, Thank you!!

I do indeed ramble, quite often and about nothing, but I will endeavor to entertain nonetheless.  I am in fact an author, which is why I was invited.  I do have several books (you can see them at the bottom), but let’s talk about something else.  I know, let’s talk about what it is to be an Indie Author.

Now, an Indie Author as we know is an author who has chosen to publish their work on their own, independently of a publishing company.  I know most of you think that we have done this because we couldn’t get a publisher to pick up our books.  Tsk, tsk… for if you believe that, you would be incorrect.  Most of us have chosen this path.  Why, you ask would we do this? Well, let me tell you.

I myself after much research opted to not even submit to a publisher.  The reasons are many.  Firstly, when signing a contract with a traditional publisher, you are handing over the rights to your work for the duration of that contract, on average, that’s 5 to 10 years. During that time you, the author, have no rights to your work.  If the publisher wants it out of print, it’s out of print.  Hmmm, well, that’s no good.  Secondly, the publisher chooses the cover, the content, the price, the distribution all quite often without the authors input.  Most of us are not celebrities and most of us have not won any competitions or prizes in the literary world.  They apparently know best.  Which brings me to the next reason, third, they do not market your book.  You still have to do that.  Again, who are you? No one in the grand scheme of things and thus, they let you do the legwork.  They’ll put it in print and hand it out to stores and make it available, but who will tell the masses it’s there?  That falls to the author.  So, you are the marketing department, but you’re not getting paid.  Oh, wait, you got an advance?  Of what?  $2,000 or if you’re lucky $5,000?  No, again, who are you?  Thus, the final reason.  After toiling and sweating and crying and struggling, the publisher will pay me $.05 on the dollar for each book sold, but wait, I got an advance… Oh, so I won’t see any more money until they make the money back for my advance?  Oh, ok… hmmmm. 

Now, please don’t get me wrong, traditional publishing is a way to go and I begrudge no one for taking that path.  But I would ask readers to give us all a chance.  I understand that finding exceptional Indie Authors who have taken their writing seriously can be challenging.  Some of these writers refuse to find editors or get good covers.  And you the readers deserve that, you deserve a product that has been presented in the best way it could be.  But there are quite a few of us out there that have learned and are making some amazing literature, yes, literature.  We have written stories and created worlds that carry the reader away to another place.  The stories are beautifully written, full of great characters and descriptive worlds and intricate plots.  I’ve read some beautiful books written by authors few people know, and how lucky have I been to do that… very lucky.  For with each word, I have been changed, just a little.

Well, thank you for giving me some time to rant and ramble.  For those of you who have been unfamiliar with we Indie Authors, I hope you’ll give us a shot.  May you all find another world waiting around the corner and an adventure waiting to happen. 

Find my books on the following platforms



 Author Bio: Although she grew up in Arizona, S. L. Dearing was born and raised in California and considers the Golden State her home. Shannon attended Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, studying biology, then moved to Los Angeles where she spent several years studying at Los Angeles City College’s renowned Television/ Film program. She learned the art of storytelling from her father when she was very young and has been writing since the tender age of five. As an author of many genres, she is always hoping to learn more by exploring the world of story. She has written her first novel The Gathering: Book One of the Lia Fail Chronicles.  She also has short stories in several anthologies: Apocalypse: An Anthology by Readers & Authors, Paranormal Anthology with a Twist and Stalkers: A Collection of Thriller Stories. Shannon currently resides in Los Angeles.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.