Saturday 20 April 2013

Beg for Mercy

Beg for Mercy (Cambion, #1)Beg for Mercy by Shannon Dermott

Book Synopsis

Everyone dreams of that first kiss. Of that magic moment when your lips finally meet those of that special person you’ve waited your whole life for. A little awkward, a little scary, a little hot and every bit amazing. We speculate that the whole world will shake and time will just stop. No one, however, ever imagines that kiss to bring Death himself knocking. 

Sixteen year old Mercy Moore's life just got more complicated. The kiss that originally could have meant she would finally have a boyfriend now was the kiss that could have very nearly ended his life. A small detail her mother conveniently never told her will take her life for an abrupt u-turn. Dating, no love, was now completely and utterly impossible. And the boy well, that boy would never be the same.

But life, however cruel, goes on. Far too soon for her taste, Mercy finds herself at a senior party with the elite students of her school and her best friend. And of all things, playing a stupid game that could very well mean the death of someone in that small room. If it were not for her best friend, the hottest guys in school, and a small need to fit in, she may have been able to escape the disaster that was to come. Her worst nightmare, her personal curse, her very life, only gets dangerously worse.

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars.

When I agreed to read and review this for author Shannon Dermott I figured I would enjoy it, I mean I read the synopsis and I was like "yeah, this is a book I want to read." What I wasn't expecting was a book that I couldn't put down. Do not read this if you are surrounding by small people who rely on you to cook and care for them because one of two things will happen, either your small people will eat all the fruit because you haven't made lunch or dinner yet or you will be incredibly frustrated that you can't finish reading that chapter just yet. Yes both things happened to me, when there was no fruit left to tide them over til the end of 'just one more chapter' I had no choice but to step away and cook for them. This book had me up late at night reading until I physically couldn't keep my eyes open any longer, and then it had me up mega early so that I could carry on reading.

This isn't my first Succubus book, but it is the first time I have read a book about a teenage succubus and I think Dermott has struck gold. The PNR genre is literally riddled with vampire romance books, so to come across Beg for Mercy is like a breath of fresh air. There are several relationship arcs in this book and I think Dermott has worked them perfectly. Mercy is by no means a slut, but she really does have a hard time keeping her lust in check but when you're an untrained succubus that's par for the course. Right? Exactly, especially when you have several hot guys thrusting themselves upon you, guys who are fully aware of your nature and inability to control it.

I enjoyed this so much that when I finished the last page in the story and turned the page I actually squealed with delight to realise this is just the first book in the series. So now I'm really looking forward to reading the next instalment  Waiting for Mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.