Saturday 15 June 2013

Casting Stones Review and Author Interview




Book Synopsis

The act of revenge is short-lived. The feeling of regret lasts forever.Avery Stone was a normal guy who never did anything important in his life. After a tragic childhood, he found a family ready and willing to take him in. Though he never really felt that he belonged there, he knew that it was better than being alone. When someone starts murdering random werewolf families Avery finds himself fighting to keep his loved ones safe.

Claire's Review 4 of 5 Stars

Casting Stones was a totally different book to what I expected, It was well written and gripping with a brilliant story line that kept you reading. I did find the beginning of the book confusing as I felt too many characters where introduced too quickly and I struggled to take in who everyone was but it soon became clear as the book continued. The dynamics between the characters were brilliant, especially the relationship between Avery and Simone, and the telling of the story through Avery's video diary camera clips was great!

The werewolf element of the story was an interesting twist, and this didn't feel like your normal paranormal story. Although it was an interesting branch to the story I didn't feel it was necessary as the story would have held well without  it.

Overall it was a great story and a good read, with a very emotional twist.

Author Interview

5361626Laurencia Hoffman
Author bio
I'm a new author just trying to get the word out about my book. I've been writing since I could hold a pen (I've always preferred pens over pencils). I'm very proud to say that my novella was published by Damnation Books in December of 2011. I always have stories and characters that call to me, so I plan to be writing for a very long time.

Author Interview

1. What inspired you to write your first book?

Writing has always been my passion, so I’m constantly working on one story or another. Movies and music always inspire me. Anything could trigger an idea, even if it doesn’t have anything to do with the plot I come up with! When the inspiration for Casting Stones came, I got the idea and couldn’t stop writing until it was finished

2. Do you have a specific writing style?

I don’t think I do. As long as I have some snacks and a playlist I’m good to go.

3. How did you come up with the title?

Well, the main character is ridiculed by his family for his past deeds. Instead of getting to know him or trying to understand him, they make preconceived notions. Also, the family in the book goes by the last name of Stone. I was being clever there.

4. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Yes, try not to judge people too harshly. You really can’t judge a book by its cover.

5. How much of the book is realistic?

Not much. I keep all the characters realistic, but because some supernatural elements are involved, everything else is purely for entertainment.

6. Are your novels based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

No, I’ve never been able to base characters or stories on people I know. I feel like it limits the possibilities for me.

7. Which of your novels have influenced your life the most?

It would have to be Casting Stones. Being published gave me the confidence to seek publication for my other projects.

8. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Many things influence my writing, but I’ve never considered any writer as a mentor.

9. What book are you reading now?

I’m not reading anything right now; I’ve got too much editing to do!

10. What are your current projects?

I’m working on a series called Wages of Sin with a good friend of mine. It keeps me busy, and it’s the only thing I have inspiration for at the moment.

11. Do you see your writing as a career?

I would love for that to happen, but I can’t rely on it. As long as I can have a job that allows me time to write, I’ll be a happy camper.

12. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

I would fix some of the flaws that I see now. But other than that, I like the way it turned out.

13. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

Yes! I wanted to be an actress when I was little. I’ve always loved writing. I fall in love with characters and stories. When I realized that I wanted to write the characters and the stories myself, I shifted my focus to writing.

14. Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Absolutely! Here’s an excerpt from the first Wages of Sin novel.

How was this even possible? He was sure that he had seen her die back in France but seventy years ago.

Although he was shocked, Blake couldn't help but feel resentful. "What the hell are you doing here?" he hissed, his face literally inches from her own. A strange question to ask considering they were in a public place that welcomed vampires and of course she could attend if she so desired. Despite this little fact, it still did not justify why she was here, she must have known that he was the owner and that he would be here. She knew how much pain she had caused him and yet she was here.

Melina was caught completely off-guard by the sudden physical contact, but it happened too fast for her to stop him. With her fangs bared she pushed him back several feet away from her.

Blake snarled; it wasn't that he necessarily desired to be close to her, he just disliked being treated in such a way by anyone. "I thought you were dead,” he said to her, “I could have sworn you were...and right now, I couldn't wish for anything more."

He was a vile piece of work undoubtedly, but could she really blame him? From what she knew of him, no matter how little, it wasn't as though his life as a vampire had been a breeze.

His yellow orbs wandered over her form before settling back on her own eyes, "God, I feel like ripping your throat out."

The words fell from his mouth like vomit; he couldn't restrain himself from spouting unkind things her way.

Who did he think he was? She didn't want to be close to anyone, let alone him. She was almost afraid of humans; she didn't want to touch anyone. Before Moira's untimely demise, the last memory she could recall was being tortured. Touch was something she was not yet comfortable with. "If you had killed me in the first place, like I asked you to so many years ago, we wouldn't be here now. You have only yourself to blame."

It was true. If he had killed her, Melina wouldn't have been kidnapped and Moira wouldn't have died.

"I could grant you that favor right now if you so desired," he jeered as he now stood a few feet from her, but still within the proximity of the darkened corner.

Others went about their business in the club, not paying any attention to the owner's conversation with the unknown female.

"Go ahead," she chuckled, "Kill me. Do you think I fear death? No...it's what I want. And that's exactly why you won't do it. You'd rather see me miserable." Blake thought that she was terrible. She had abandoned him time after time, and that gave him a valid excuse to hate her. Melina had been abandoned too, by Arthur, her family, and even Silas at times. Sometimes she did care about Blake and she felt some sympathy for him, but she couldn't show that. Why should she? The more emotion she showed the more he would be able to hold over her head.

"Death is the easy way out, Melina,” he hissed, “That is why I won't grant you that privilege."

"I was curious...I wanted to see if you had changed. How fortunate for you that you haven't." She spat her words at him, her eyes filled with as much distaste for him as they could hold.

Blake's lips parted, exposing his front teeth as well as the two elongated fangs as he expressed a smile. "Changed? You really don't know me at all, do you?"

He could see the abhorrence she held for him lingering in her gaze. He actually liked how enraged she had become, and if he was the culprit of that, even better!

It was his fault that she was afraid now; his fault that she was no longer what she once was. She had never heard of another vampire more pathetic than she was. But she couldn't kill herself. That was her curse now. "Touch me again and you'll regret it. You've made quite a reputation for yourself, my pet...I'm sure you have plenty of enemies who would love to know your weaknesses."

15. Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

It can be really difficult to keep the inspiration going for one story. There are so many ideas I want to use and something new will catch my interest and steal my attention away from whatever my current writing project happens to be.

16. Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?

Not yet, but I hope for that to be the case in the future!

17. Who designed the covers?

Julie A. D’Arcy designed the cover for Casting Stones. She works with the publisher, Damnation Books. I couldn’t be happier with the way my book cover turned out.

18. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

I would have to say writing the end where I have to wrap everything up. It’s hard to tie up loose ends and have it all make sense to the reader.

19. Do you have any advice for other writers?

Don’t give up! Stay positive. Don’t be discouraged if you get a bad review; take the good with the bad. Always back up your precious files.

20. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Follow your dreams. Life will always have its ups and downs, but you have to set aside time to do what you love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.