Saturday 22 June 2013

The Woman Who Sparked The Greatest Sex Scandal Of All Time Review

ss  The Woman Who Caused The Greatest Sex Scandal Of All Time by Eli Yaakunah
Synopsis
Love is transformation. Ishtar finds a man who turns lead into gold, but he disappears mysteriously. She looks for him violating all rules, until she discovers that she herself is the key. Everything depends on whether and how she carries out a terrible assignment. Love, world peace, and her own conscience are at stake.
How would you act when Love conflicts with Truth? Which is the sexiest of all possible worlds? What is the future of journalism? 'The Woman Who Sparked the Greatest Sex Scandal of All Time' is a captivating and emotionally charged novel. It can be read as a romance, a political thriller, or a dystopian adventure like those of George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, Ray Bradbury, Anthony Burgess, and Philip K Dick. As you will discover, all these literary genres merge consistently in a surprising way. In the meantime, you will be assured of high doses of passion, eroticism, suspense, and mystery.
The novel has been given "The Kirkus Star" by Kirkus Reviews, a distinction that is "Awarded to Books of Exceptional Merit." It contains unconventional descriptions of explicit sex, and is recommended for ages 16+.
Lisa's Review - 2 out of 5 stars
I have never before struggled to write a review, but early on through reading this book I found myself wondering how to review this book honestly.
From the first couple of pages, I found myself scratching my head in puzzlement, and I hoped as the pages went by I would lose that feeling. Unfortunately, by the time I reached the end of the book, I was still as confused as I was at the beginning.
The first thing I need to point out is that from the very first few pages, there is some seriously heavy sexual content. I am by no means a prude, but some of the content was just downright bizarre, and parts of it actually made me grimace. The main character Ishtar, has many sexual fantasies about the people that she meets but they can not be construed as 'normal' at all.
The concept behind this book is that there are 'Gods' who are pretty much scripting the world and the way of humans. As Ishtar discovers just how much of the human world they control, her conscience gets the better of her and she wants to unveil the secrets of The Agency. Along the way, the love of her life disappears, and she sets out to discover where he has gone.
In theory this makes for an interesting story, and it is one I thought would be brilliant. But I found this book full of what I can only describe as too much 'weirdness', leading to the that 'head scratching', a what-on-Earth-just-happened moment occurred too many times for me.
Getting towards the end of the book, I actually found a handful of chapters quite enjoyable - Ishtar discovers what happened to her love, Utu, and decides she is going to join the 'Rebel Reporters' and I thought the story was really picking up, sadly just too far into the book. Unfortunately, the end is a massive let down, and although we know Ishtar is going to reveal it, the reader never actually finds out what The Greatest Sex Scandal Of All Time is, which kind of nulled the whole point of the story.
I gave the book 2 stars out of 5, 1 star is for the massive imagination the author has. I may not have really enjoyed the story but the author cannot be faulted for such a vivid imagination, and the descriptiveness she uses in her writing is something to be proud of. I gave the other star for the few chapters towards the end which finally made me feel sucked in to Ishtar's story, and also the fact that even though I wasn't really enjoying it, there was something about it that made me keep on reading until the very end.
Links
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17469380-the-woman-who-sparked-the-greatest-sex-scandal-of-all-time
http://www.eliyaakunah.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Woman-Sparked-Greatest-Scandal-ebook/dp/B00BTFHMQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371557941&sr=8-1&keywords=the+woman+who+sparked+the+greatest+sex+scandal+of+all+time
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woman-Sparked-Greatest-Scandal-Time/dp/1481031775/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371557976&sr=8-1&keywords=the+woman+who+sparked+the+greatest+sex+scandal+of+all+time
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-woman-who-sparked-the-greatest-sex-scandal-of-all-time-eli-yaakunah/1114716608?ean=9781481031776

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.