Friday 16 August 2013

Another way to Fall ARC review

Another Way to FallAnother Way to Fall by Amanda Brooke

Publication Date UK: 22nd August 2013

Praise for Amanda Brooke

"A haunting and heartbreaking story that stayed with me long after I'd finished" Fern Britton

"Magical and unputdownable" Katie Fforde

Book Synopsis

29-year-old Emma has been battling a brain tumour for the last five years, putting on hold a promising career in London to move home and get better. When she receives the bad news that the tumour is back, more aggressive than ever and this time, terminal, her life comes crashing down about her as it seems the last five years of fighting have been in vain.

With her time left measured in months rather than years and realising she wont now have time to achieve the things she dreamed of, Emma decides to write her perfect life in a story. She writes about her dream career, her perfect husband and the family they would have raised together. As she writes she starts to feel the lines between what is real and what is fiction blurring, and begins to notice that some of the dreams seem to be coming true.

With a new love in her life Emma begins to feel hope for her future again, and as she writes her life-long love story she dares to believe that anything is possible and dreams can come true, but can she change her fate?

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

How am I supposed to sum up this book in a spoiler free review? I don't even know where to start.

When I received the email from Harper Collins asking if I would be interested in this book I cried at the synopsis. I figured if the book could draw that kind of emotion from me with just the synopsis then I had to read the whole book. When the book arrived I quickly rushed through the book I had been reading so that I could get to this one. It's taken me 3 days to read this, well not quite, it's been 3 reading sessions. The longest session being last night, where I read until 1 am and I only put the book down because my face was so wet from the tears that had fallen. I finished reading the last 100 pages this morning whilst my children played, but clearly I should have waited until they were in bed because the whole time I was met by concerned looks and hugs to make me feel better as once again the tears flowed freely.

One of the hardest parts of this book was reading the story that Emma was writing. The life she would have lived if her diagnosis had been different. In some ways this was more heart wrenching than her real life, probably because she knew she would never have the chance to do the things she had written about.

Brooke has written an amazingly poignant book. One that grabs the reader and pulls them into Emma's world. One that I can see myself reading again. I'll just need to remember the tissues next time.

Claire's review 5 of 5 stars

I'm not really sure where to start this review. This book has left me very lost for words, it brings out so many emotions when you are reading.
Amanda's writing style is amazing and keeps you wanting to read more. Like Shona, I read this book in a very short time frame as I couldn't put it down!
I will definitely be recommending this book to friends, I haven't read a book that draws out such vast emotions in a long time and I really am stuck for words right now. I think I can only sum this book up by saying go and buy it and try it for yourself! I promise you won't be disappointed. Amanda has definitely gained herself a big fan :)

Amanda Brooke is a single mum in her forties who lives in Liverpool with her teenage daughter jessica. It was only when her young son was diagnosed with Cancer that Amanda began to develop her writing, recording her family's journey in a journal and through poetry. When Nathan died in 2006 at just three years old, Amanda was determined that his legacy would be one of inspiration not devastation. Her debut novel Yesterday's Sun was inspired by her experiences of motherhood and her understanding of how much a mother would be willing to sacrifice for the life of her child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.