Monday 6 January 2014

M-Day Beta review

 M-Day (M-Day #1)Before the day… before M-day… people used to read books and watch movies about zombies. They used to dress up as zombies; pretend to kill zombies… Basically, zombies had become a part of popular culture in a very unexpected way.
The highly anticipated zombie apocalypse never came.
What did come was much worse than any city over run with shambling corpses after brains and flesh. A virus… a virus that only affected men. Nobody knew what caused it, or where it had come from, not that it really mattered. It's here and there’s no going back.
Maxine was one of the lucky ones--she got out alive. She and her friends banded together to survive the new desolate conditions left behind by the virus. When a supply gathering mission goes awry, Max and company are left with no better choice than to trust a group of uninfected military men. No longer on the run from her infected husband, Max discovers there could be worse dangers for her on the horizon… Like losing her heart to her mysterious savior everyone calls Zee.

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars
A year ago if you would have asked me who my favourite author was I would have said I didn't have one. There are too many awesome authors writing work that I love to be able to pick one. But my 10 year old daughter asked me this very question yesterday and my immediate reaction was D.T Dyllin. Sorting through my top books from this last year and it's easy to see why. Every single book that I have read that this woman has written I have loved. While I may be patiently awaiting the newest book in one of my favourite series to be released I am literally sat waiting for the next book that Dyllin has penned, whether its the latest in an existing series, or the first book in a new series of books like this one. So when she asked for people to Beta read this I of course jumped at the chance.. Like i'm gonna pass up that opportunity... Slipping into Dyllin's books is like comfort food or a conversation with an old friend. It's something you look forward to. And M-Day was no different.

From the very first page I was pulled into Max's world with ease. A world where women live in fear of the men, both the men of their past and the men they are yet to meet, thanks to the virus that has turned the men into monsters.

I think only Dyllin would be able to write a world where the men terrorize the women and yet still be able to give us a smoking hot romance. From the very first scene together there is something explosive between Max and Zee that has you hanging on the edge of your seat waiting for the next interaction. Max is the kind of woman I would want to be friends with, she has that kick ass attitude but she is also protective of her friends, putting her life on the line to help keep them safe, but she also has a vulnerable side. A side that needs rescuing from the man that used to be her husband... until she realizes that she can rescue herself. Usually when we get a really strong female lead in a book the other women are usually portrayed as weaker versions who need protecting just to balance it out, but not in this case. Max has found herself some 'sisters' who are just as ballsy as she is, especially Evo who doesn't have a problem telling it like it is, and able to hand you your ass on a plate if need be.

One thing is for sure, Dyllin has given us not just a great new book to sink our teeth into, but a whole new series set after M-Day that will focus on other characters. While we get to meet Izzy and her new man Brandon in this book, I'm really hoping we get to see some more of Evo.. I have a feeling this chick needs to get laid ;-) Either way, it promises to be amazing and I cant wait to get my grubby little hands on it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.