Tuesday 7 January 2014

The Edge of Never Review

The Edge of Never (The Edge of Never, #1)
The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
--The New York Times, USA Today, and Wallstreet Journal bestselling blockbuster--

Sometimes life takes you off course . . .

THE EDGE OF NEVER
Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett thought she knew exactly where her life was going. But after a wild night at the hottest club in downtown Raleigh, North Carolina, she shocks everyone-including herself-when she decides to leave the only life she's ever known and set out on her own. Grabbing her purse and her cell phone, Camryn boards a Greyhound bus ready to find herself. Instead, she finds Andrew Parrish.

Sexy and exciting, Andrew lives life like there is no tomorrow. He persuades Camryn to do things she never thought she would and shows her how to give in to her deepest, most forbidden desires. Soon he becomes the center of her daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But there is more to Andrew than Camryn realizes. Will his secret push them inseparably together-or destroy them forever?
Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

I actually received a paperback copy of this book from the publishers Harper Collins, it was part of a gift pack they gave out at an event held at Harper in London. I popped this book on my 'to be read shelf' in my living room and gave it no thought. Every day I would see it sitting there and it would call to me. When I finally picked it up I didn't read the blurb and I didn't read any of the reviews. And I am so glad that i chose not to because sometimes the knowing nothing makes the book all that more special
This book has proven to be a gem, a true gem that just falls into your unsuspecting lap and leaves you an emotional wreck on the floor (or was that just me?).

Cam had my attention from the first few pages. Dear sweet Cam who puts her own happiness aside to please other people. When she walked out of her life and onto that bus I couldn't be happier for her... (although to be honest I was much happier for her later in the book). I took an instant like to Cam, and like Cam it took me a little while to warm to Andrew, once I was able to get inside his head though I really started to like him and I looked forward to those chapter told from his POV. I liked seeing how he saw Cam.

I liked the pace that Redmerski developed their relationship, it wasn't so drawn out that we were left waiting til the very last page, but at the same time while we had building attraction we weren't thrown into insta-love. The Cam and Andrew mix was great. I loved their every day interactions, the way they would surprise themselves and each other with the things that they would do. The 'f#ck with a trucker' scene.. loved it!

Now that I have read the book I have been looking around at some of the other reviews written and I have to be honest, some of them have shocked me a little. They describe the book as slow to start and once you get through the first half it all comes good. It makes me wonder if we read the same book? For me the first half of the book is just as important and just as enjoyable as the second half. There was no 'getting through it' phase. There was a getting to know you phase from both Cam and Andrew, which allowed us the reader to get to know both of them, but this part of the book had just as much story as the second half. Sometimes more. Yes the second half of the book develops the relationship but this book is more than just steamy sex scenes. This book has heartache, tragedy, love, sex and friendship. Not necessarily in that order and every single page is important to the telling of this story. There is no useless filler!

"When you fall in love, like true love, it's love for life. All the rest is just experiences and delusions."


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.