Saturday 24 May 2014

Review: Catch my Breath By Lynn Montagano

Catch My Breath Lia Meyers' plan for a relaxing Scottish vacation is short-lived when one uncharacteristic moment of clumsiness lands her in the arms of a dangerously attractive Englishman.
The perfect opportunity for a much needed holiday romance? Wrong! Lia’s still reeling from the mother of all bad breakups, and she really doesn't have the patience for Alastair Holden – despite his effortless charm and cute British accent.
Arrogant and totally inscrutable, he's exactly the sort of guy she wants to avoid but can't: the man behind the mystery proves just too tempting to resist.
Drawn to him, Lia is forced to battle with her own insecurities, and the closer they become, the more she recognizes her own weaknesses as she peels away his layers with every night they spend together. Discovering the past Alastair is so desperate to conceal, Lia must decide if they can heal one another together or if their deepest fears will tear them apart.

Shona's review 4 of 5 stars.

First things first... the reason I didn't rate it 5 stars. It's really hard to stay involved in a story when one of the characters really grates on you. For the most part I liked Lia, but I found myself getting more and more frustrated with her. And Alastair was a douche. like almost all the time. OK maybe not most of the time but he blew so hot and cold all the time I got whiplash. Which had me wondering exactly why Lia liked him so much.

I felt the story unfolded a little at the wrong pace. Like Lia's past relationship with Nathan, it felt like bits of information should have been leaked to us a little earlier than it was, that the confrontation with him at Lia's home should have been more than it was. But also from Alistair's side of things, we find out he has some crazy stalker girl but other than the fact that he 'monitors her email' (*insert sarcastic tone* which isn't creepy at all ) we know nothing of her. The reason he keeps himself to himself and doesn't venture into relationships seems obvious and with the exception of his big secret that we find out at the end I think we could have gotten to know him a bit more a little earlier. This would have helped me like him a little more. I have to admit to softening to him quite a lot after his secret came out, though I had kinda guessed what it might be.

Now that deals with the things I wasn't so happy about, and you'd be forgiven for thinking maybe the book isn't worth reading at all, but that couldn't be further from the truth. There wasn't a single point in this book where I thought I could just walk away from it. I had to keep reading. Montagano has done a great job of keeping the reader engaged throughout.
The chemistry between the couple was A-MAZ-ING!! And I'm not just talking between the sheets amazing, though that was pretty fantastic, I'm talking all the time. The every day chatter. The teasing. Truth be told it reminded me of the way  my husband and I talk to each other most days.

I have just discovered that this is Montagano's debut novel and I think she has done a great job. I look forward to reading more from her in the future.

Book Links


Author Links

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.