Monday 25 August 2014

Arc Review: Spinning Scars by Alexia Purdy

Some legends are more than real.
Others don't want them to exist.
Matthias has been hunted his entire life for what he is: a freak, an anomaly that shouldn't exist. After a century of running, he's done. He just wants to assimilate into society and quietly find the solace he craves.
When he meets Ruby, he knows there's something different about her. She's not normal either, but she doesn't even know it. Together, they must face the demons of their pasts before the Others, a supernatural race bent on exterminating anomalies, gets the best of them both.

The only thing that can save them now is fate.

Shona's review 4 of 5 stars

I'm really not sure where to begin with this one so bear with my while I try and sort through the ramblings in my head.

Now obviously I was told this was a short novella but I wasn't prepared for just how short it actually was.. or perhaps that speaks volumes for Purdy's work in that I sat down to read this and before I knew it I had devoured it. All of it. In one sitting.

From the first chapter I was hooked. I wanted to know more about this little girl, find out her story, who she was and what she would grow up to be... and in the end I didn't get all my answers. I would love to see more of Ruby, to learn about her powers. To see the queen she will become. 
I'll be honest and admit I was a little uncomfortable with Matthias' parentage.. whilst reading his backstory my brain instantly flew to several other works that had a similar character (trying really hard not to include a spoiler here) Which meant that yes I had to re-read a few sections twice because my mind had drifted and pulled me away from this story. However it didn't take much to get back on track and it was overall just a small bump in the road.

It doesn't matter how many of her books I read I'm always amazed at how easy it is to slip into Purdy's stories and this one was no exception.


Where to find Alexia Purdy:
@AlexiaPurdy

Spinning Scars is a short novella that will be included in the anthology 'Lacing Shadows' by the Writer's Co-op due for release in late September 2014. You can like them here: https://www.facebook.com/Writerscoopanthology

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.