Friday 15 August 2014

Take Over: Elizabeth Kirke

First off, thanks for having me!!! My name is Elizabeth Kirke, I'm the author of the YA Urban Fantasy series, More than Magic and the NA Paranormal Romance series, The Curse Collectors.

I always have a mini-freak-out when people invite me to do a blog post and then just say "write whatever". What do I write? What if it's boring? What if their target audience hates it? Ahhh!!!! Then I remember, I'm a writer. I feel like every writer's dream is for someone to go "Write whatever you want to". Problem is, I'm usually in my characters' heads when I write. So, then I figured, why not let them talk? So, that's what I'm going to do! I'm going to introduce you to Jen and Rachel, and let them tell you all about themselves!

~ Jen Maddox ~ The More than Magic Series ~


I guess you could say I was sort of the dork in college. I still don't like shopping, unless it's to a book store. I never really outgrew my fantasy stage. Even though I knew it wasn't real, I was always sort of hoping that something magical would happen to me. I saw this meme about how my owl never came when I was 11, so Gandalf better show up when I'm 50. Something like that. It's true, that was totally me. Always wishing that there was something more.

Well, for me there was. When I was 21 I discovered that magic does exist. There's an entire secret world, all around us. There are werewolves, vampires, elementals, and even mermaids, living and working and going to school with us. And me? I'm a witch. I have a magic wand and a familiar. It's crazy.

It can be scary too. When I was first learning magic, I was trapped on a cruise ship with several vampires - bad vampires, I should say. Plenty of vampires are good - anyway, they were feeding from people. Illegally. I have friends who work for the Magical Enforcement and Security Agency. They're jobs are to go after magics who break our laws. They're good at what they do, but the vampires were tough. There were times where I felt a bit jealous of the other people on the ship. 300 other people who were just enjoying their cruise, with no idea that their lives could be in danger. I found myself wishing that I could forget too. But, that would have meant giving up magic and, no matter how scary it gets, I'd never give this up.

~ Rachel Shaw ~ The Curse Collectors Series ~


I had my life all figured out. I had a Masters in Historical Preservation and I was working in a small-town museum. It wasn't great hours, or much pay, but it put a little roof over my head and I was spending my days doing what I loved. My two younger sisters were making their way in the world too and we were moving past our parents' deaths.

Then our aunt died. We hardly knew her. We didn't even know she owned an antique shop until we inherited it. Our grand plan was to go clean it up, sort the valuable antiques from the junk, and then sell it. The best laid plans...right?

The more I thought about the shop, the more I started to think about running it myself. I knew enough about antiques. Being able to make my own hours and be my own boss was very appealing.

But...then the dreams started. Weird dreams. They were about Peter, my aunt's - dare I say, really cute - assistant. When I wasn't thinking about him, I was obsessing over a locked trunk in the back room. My sisters started getting the creeps too, hearing things, seeing things.

And then Peter told us the truth. He wasn't an assistant in the antique store. He was my aunt's apprentice to rune-casting. They were curse-breakers and everything in the shop either was, or had been, cursed.

I was cursed too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.