Monday 29 September 2014

Audio Book Review: More Fool Me by Stephen Fry

More Fool MeStephen Fry invites readers to take a glimpse at his life story in the unputdownable More Fool Me.
It is a heady tale of the late Eighties and early Nineties, in which Stephen - ever more driven to create, perform and entertain - burned bright and partied hard with a host of famous and infamous friends, regardless of the consequences.
This electric and extraordinary book reveals a new side to Mr Fry.
Stephen Fry is an award-winning comedian, actor, presenter and director. He rose to fame alongside Hugh Laurie in A Bit of Fry and Laurie (which he co-wrote with Laurie) and Jeeves and Wooster, and was unforgettable as Captain Melchett in Blackadder. He also presented Stephen Fry: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive, his groundbreaking documentary on bipolar disorder, to huge critical acclaim. His legions of fans tune in to watch him host the popular quiz show QI each week.

 Shona's review 4 of 5 stars

This is the very first time I have tried an audio book. I normally struggle to hear and understand properly when someone is reading to me so I've always been hesitant to try, but then I spotted that this was read by Stephen Fry himself and decided to give it a try. I have no idea if all audio biographies are read by the authors, but I think this was a stroke of genius because it feels more like Stephen is retelling some of the highlights of his life directly to me in conversation rather than me just reading a list of facts off a page,

One of the things that struck me whilst listening was how frank and honest Stephen is about every facet of his life. From his childhood and emergence into young adulthood and run in with the law... to his brutal honestly about not just his cocaine use but also about his manic depression and Bi-Polar Disorder.

Stephen has given us a great glimpse into his life, the ups and the downs. Those funny anecdotes mixed in with the touching and poignant insight into the lives of living with HIV and Aids in the early years of the diseases. His story is written so well, and I have to be honest, the diary entries near the end of the book have left me truly wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.