Monday 20 October 2014

Review: The Hundred by Kass Morgan

The Hundred (The Hundred, #1) In the future, humans live in citylike spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland...before it's too late.
Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust-and even love-again.

Shona's review 4 of 5 stars

Ok total honesty up front here... I loved the TV show. My husband and I would see adverts for the show in the weeks before it aired and we were both really keen to watch. I had no idea that it was an adaptation from a book though. Something I found out a few weeks ago whilst browsing a local book store. Unfortunately for me I had no money in my book fund and had resigned myself to having to wait a few weeks.... until I spotted it on Netgalley. So I jumped at the opportunity.

Now for all of those out there who are like me and watched the show but hadn't heard about the book but would like to read it... do not expect this to be a carbon copy of the show. Although the story is essentially the same there are some pretty big differences and while the TV show is based on this first book it is clear they have taken a slightly different route with it.

While I enjoyed this book I have to admit that for me, it didn't feel like a full story, there is no conclusion. What we get is bloody great big cliffhangers. This is the first book in a series, so of course this is the introductory book where you meet all the cast, learn about their past and get a teeny tiny glimpse at what to expect from the next book.

I loved that the book is told from the POV of not one but four characters. It means that we the reader have the opportunity to find out so much more about the rules/laws of the Colony that we wouldn't necessarily see from certain characters.
Morgan has done a great job of providing just the right mix of sci-fi, romance, dystopia and mystery to keep the reader hanging on to every page. I know once I had started reading it I couldn't put it down. Now I just need to find some time to read the second book in the series Day 21. And find some money for my book budget because after reading this I have decided that I NEED a copy for my paperback shelf...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.