Monday 12 January 2015

Review: Sweep; Volume 1 by Cate Tiernan

Sweep: Volume 1 (Sweep, #1-3)Includes:
Book 1 - Book of Shadows
Book 2 - The Coven
Book 3 - Blood Witch

The first three Sweep books bound into one gorgeous edition at a fabulous price! Morgan Rowlands never thought she was anything other than a typical sixteen-year-old girl. But when she meets Cal, a captivatingly handsome coven leader, she makes a discovery that turns her whole world upside down: she is a witch, descended from an ancient and powerful line. And so is Cal. Their connection is immediate and unbreakable; Cal teases out Morgan's power, her love, her magick. But Morgan discovers too soon that her powers are strong-- almost too powerful to control. And she begins to suspect that Cal may be keeping secrets from her . . . secrets that could destroy them both.

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

I first read this series a few years ago and I binge read all 15 books in a week or two. I loved the books and vowed that I would at some point make room to reread them, so here I am giving them another go to see if they still have the power to suck me in. And I think its safe to say that having read 3 books in less than 24 hours that would be a big fat yes. As before, I found I just couldn't tear myself away, I knew what was going to happen (and yes in some places my memory was a little hazy) but I needed to carry on reading. We have ourselves a cliché here... this was a real page turner.

I love the daily struggles facing Morgan, discovering her Witch status, learning about her family ties, embracing Wicca whilst knowing her parents are fiercely against it, the breakdown of her relationship with her best friend and her developing relationship with the new boy. But most of all I love that she doesn't just breeze through these issues, she struggles and fights her way through these and ultimately makes decisions that a naive sixteen year old would make.

Tiernan gives us many characters in this omnibus and each and every one of them are fully fledged characters with substance that give this series an extra depth that some others are lacking. Tiernan has done a wonderful job of mixing what feels like old world magick with modern day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.