Wednesday 2 December 2015

Spotlight and Review: Desperately Undone by Christine Winston

Bree Richards has lived a secluded life for the last ten years. When her past finally catches up with her, Bree finds herself travelling across the Country with the dangerous Michael Ryan. With Boston’s underworld and sexy, but questionable, FBI agent Davis snapping at their heels, Bree makes the decision to put her trust in the one person she fears most.

Lisa's review - 4 out of 5 stars

Desperately Undone is the debut book from author Christine Winston. I didn't have much information about the book before agreeing to review it, so when I started reading and found it difficult to put down, it was a nice surprise!

What a story! Ten years ago, Aubrey was kidnapped, and since then has been living a sheltered life. That all changes when one of her kidnappers is released from prison. Michael isn't quite one of the bad guys though, and together with a bit of help, they have to try and get the real bad guys so they can live a normal life.

Desperately Undone is gritty, fast paced and real. The characters are well written, relatable and realistic. The story line is fantastic, full of 'I did not see that coming' plots and twists, exciting page turner dramas, and even the slower paced parts flowed well with the rest of the book.

I really enjoyed this, and the old saying fits well, 'never judge a book by its cover', or its blurb, as if I had been browsing this it wouldn't usually have been a book I would have picked up, but it was really enjoyable, and I am pleased there was excerpt of the next book in the series at the end, as I like the idea of getting to know more about the secondary characters, Jo and Davis, from this book, further in the series.

The only reason I knocked a star off my review was because of the punctuation mistakes, and in some places lack of all together. It made reading in some parts difficult and drew my attention away from the story as I had to re-read bits until they made sense. If the punctuation had been better this would have been a 5 star review for sure.

Ikira's review 4 of 5 Stars

I received this book to review on behalf of a new author - their debut book and I genuinely had no idea what to expect (I'm not always keen on new authors for many reasons). I had read a brief blurb but knowing nothing of the author at all, I jumped in anyway...I'm glad I did.

The story is gripping and the characters believable. I won't give anything away but there are a few twists and turns - some easier to anticipate than others but either way, the story is unaffected if you do see them. The overall book is an easy read, very gripping and I'd finished it in just a couple of days.

I'd like to have read more of Davis and Jo although they were secondary characters, they were important and I didn't feel enough emphasis was on them at times. I wanted the ending to last a little longer, it felt rushed but maybe that was just because I didn't want the story to end!!

There's definitely room for more - more stories of this kind, more characters like these and there could be so much more for these particular characters. I really hope this author keeps writing. I will be looking out for her work!

Clare's review 4 out of 5 stars

This is the first book I have read from Christine Winston and I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline. I think the author has a brilliant imagination and will do well in future books. 
My only real issue with the book was the grammatical errors, I feel the author would benefit from some extra proof reading and editing. 
The characters were well thought out and I felt they all interacted well with each other and the twists and turns in the story kept me guessing! I will be getting the next in the series to see how the other characters develop, hopefully I won't need to wait too long!

Author Bio

My name is Christine Winston and I am from Dublin, Ireland. I have been writing romance novels for about two years and tend to fall under the romantic suspense category. My favourite thing about writing is character development. I strive to write real characters that my readers can connect to easily. I currently have two books on the market that are self-published with my third in the final stages of editing.

Book Links



Author Links

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.