Sunday 27 December 2015

Spotlight and Review: Hidden Scars by A.M Myers

Emma Harrington is an intelligent, confident, sweet and sassy woman.
Or she was...before him.
Emma sets out to rebuild her life and find the person she once was. A wrench is thrown into her plans when she meets Phoenix West, a sexy as hell, smooth-talking tattoo artist.
As soon as Nix meets Emma, he knows he's found something special. He can't deny their connection and despite her reluctance, Nix slowly works his way through her hidden scars and into her heart.
Just when Emma starts to breathe again, her fear resurfaces, threatening her hopes for the future.
Will she ever be free to live the life she truly wants? Or will her torturous past finally catch up to her?

Claire's review 3 of 5 stars

This has the potential to be a very good read! Unfortunately, I found a few things let it down.

I loved the story, and I really enjoyed reading about what had happened in Emma's past with Ryan, and found those chapters really sucked me in and were very well written. However with the alternative now and then style chapters, I found my interest waving as would sometimes get confused.

The present day chapters, I found harder to process, and although the story concept was good, I felt that Emma and Nix had no chemistry as all, and it put me off reading about their relationship, especially the way he seemed to be constantly carrying her around as if she was a child. They also seemed to jump into a serious relationship awfully quickly, which im not sure would happen considering Emmas past.

This is a well written book and I think it could be a brilliant read with some small changes.

Ikira's review 2.5 of 5 stars

In short; I like it and I didn't...

I liked: The writing, imagination and scene setting - I could put myself there in an almost movie like fashion. The chapter headings - different - I won't say any more and spoil it for you. The 'voice' given to victims of domestic abuse and violence - the author gives a good account of what goes on behind closed doors in a way which makes me believe she has personal experience or contact with someone who does. It certainly is an interesting story in that respect. The finale. Unlike other books similar to this, the ending wasn't rushed and nothing was unfinished. The author clearly gave a lot of time making sure to tie up the loose ends.

I didn't like: The repetition in places and spelling/grammatical errors - a re-edit might be in order as these sometimes meant I had to re-read and this is distracting to me. The chapter layout. Personal preference but I'd rather read the backstory and then the current story. To-ing and Fro-ing is not my cup of tea. Words and phrases or behaviour which mirrors that of formerly abusive partners often produces a negative reaction from the victim but that didn't seem to be the case all the way through, almost as though Emma manages to flip a switch and just 'get over' the past far too easily.

Kerry's review 3 of 5 stars

I wasn't sure about this book while I was reading it. It took a while to get into the back and forth of the chapters are confusing and I kept having to go back and re read some bits to make sure I was getting everything right.
The story of Emma is so heartbreaking I have never read a book with abuse in it before so I had no idea what to expect. Reading some of the things that Ryan did to her made me so mad thinking just leave him! I was so glad that when the book started that she had left him but having to read the then chapters was still hard.
When she meets Nix it's a bit hard to believe that she could be fine around him so quickly and I don't think they really had much chemistry. I'm all for a bad boy and Nix didn't disappoint even though some of the things he said were cheesy.
When we meet the bikers the book really picks up and I finished the last hour and a half so quickly it's unreal. The unease of not knowing if Emma would survive kept me going. I loved the ending seeing everyone 6 years later and how all the relationships had developed it was the perfect ending. I would recommend this book to my friends and family.



Author Bio:

A.M. currently lives in Washington State with her husband, their two little boys and their pit bull, Diesel. She's been writing since she was little and always loved it but writing an entire book always seemed like a daunting task until one day, this story got stuck in her head and just wouldn't give her any peace until she started writing it.
When she's not writing, you can find her hanging out with her family or pursuing other creative ventures - such as photography.

FB Author Page:

https://www.facebook.com/Author-A-M-Myers-1489055591368098/

Book Links

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.