Sunday 27 December 2015

Spotlight and Review: The Chronicle of the Three: Bloodlines by Tabitha Caplinger

Zoe thought the loss of her parents would be the most difficult thing she’d ever have to endure. When she began seeing things she couldn’t explain in her new home of Torchcreek, Virginia, she was sure the grief was driving her mad. Instead Zoe discovers she is part of an ancient bloodline, one destined to defeat the powers of darkness from condemning the world. But Zoe, the daughter of the three, isn’t just another descendant, but the key to humanity’s salvation.
In this first installment of the Christian fantasy trilogy The Chronicle of the Three, Zoe Andrews learns that not all shadows are harmless interceptions of light. Some are a more sinister darkness that wants to torment the soul.

Clare's review 4 out of 5 stars

Zoe has lost her parents in an awful accident and moved, along with her new guardian, Aunt Claire, to a quiet little town to recover. From the beginning things are different and Zoe has to embrace a new take on life that she hadn't anticipated.

My initial thought when I read the blurb for this book was yes! I need to read this! There is a religious aspect to this book that I wasn't expecting but I enjoyed this and I felt that the author did well with this part of the storyline. The relationship between the characters was well thought out and I enjoyed the way they seemed to effortlessly bind together, almost like the gang from Scooby Doo, each plays their own part. i read this book in a short time, it kept me hooked and I really enjoyed the progression of the story. I also enjoyed the ending, it's not often the 'enemy' has other options and I am looking forward to seeing where this character goes in the next installment.

I felt that this book would be suited to more of a YA audience, although I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Lisa's review 2.5 out of 5 stars

After the death of her parents, Zoe has to adjust to a new life, living with her aunt Claire, moving to a new place and having to settle into Torchcreek, and finding out she is actually one of  'the three', a chosen one to save us from the shadowy demons.

Bloodline is a Christian fantasy, and I think this was one of the reasons I didn't enjoy it much. The Christian aspects kind of interrupted the flow for me, and even though the story has angels and demons, the other Christian aspects just didn't sit with the rest of the story. I also think this is definitely more of a teenager aimed young adult book, I have read many YA books, and class it as one of my favourite genres, but this felt like it was specifically aimed at a certain age group, rather than being broad enough for anyone of any age to read. The writing seemed simple and basic, and I also felt the flow of the story wasn't great and paragraphs seemed to rush into one another with no break between character changes etc.

That said, the story was alright when you removed the parts I didn't enjoy. The characters were good, and I would have liked to have a read more detail on them, and wish more work had been done on character development. There was a good relationship between Zoe and Claire, and it would be quite interesting to read more about the relationship between Claire and the angel, Michael.

This wasn't a favourite read for me, but would be enjoyed by a younger reader.

Zoe's review 4.5 out of 5 stars

If you're a Buffy fan, you'll immediately notice similarities between this and your favourite 'Chosen One' story. If you're not, don't worry as it's not a requirement to read and enjoy this book. 

I adore Buffy and initially I was upset by the similarities, I felt it lacked imagination from the author but then I realised she may not have even noticed herself because she may not be a fan - it could be a coincidence so I wiped that thought from my mind and read on as though it was a new story which seriously helped the enjoyment of the story.

I loved the main characters, the relationship between Claire and Zoe was just how I want it to be with my nieces and nephews; and especially Maggie - I need a Maggie in my life! The story travels at a realistic speed, doesn't feel rushed and continuity of the story remains which is a definite plus to me. The author included small details which weren't necessary but embellished the story in small ways, bringing that little bit extra attention to details which was great to see.

The ending was good, exciting, dramatic and a little heartwarming too so yes, just right. (Buffy fans will see similarities here again and when I realised this, I went back to my original conclusion the author is a fan too but by then it didn't matter because I already loved the book.)

One thing I enjoyed throughout was the spelling, grammar and editing was almost perfect (only a couple of tiny spelling hitches right near the end) which seems rare these days so yes, a practically perfect 4.5 out of 5 stars.



Tabitha Caplinger has been in student ministry for close to 15 years, and currently pastors at Faith Community Church in House Springs, Missouri with her husband Brian. They have two sassy daughters, Lila and Rory. Student Ministry is core to who Tabitha is; she loves discipling others and helping them see themselves through Jesus’ eyes. Her goal is for every young woman to be confident that, “she is loved more than she will ever know by someone who died to know her.”

When not working, Tabitha and her family like taking in a good movie or walking through the park. She also admits to being a little obsessed with TV.

Connect with Tabitha online:
Twitter: @pastortabitha
Visit Tabitha Caplinger on Goodreads

Book Links

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.