Sunday 27 December 2015

Spotlight and Review: Life's Defeat by Rebekah Raymond

Tragedy places the soldier in StPatrick’s complex, determination to be someone of use keeps her within its walls. When she finally takes her first breaths of freedom, the soldier is sucked back into military servitude, her long, violent capture and imprisonment by Rochester setting her path of physical and psychological terror.
Under his rule she learns the depth of her own depravity, and how far she can go before she threatens to lose herself. But when Tomlin and his team rescues her, she discovers a new threat in the life she chooses to lead.
As the pages of her genetically-altered history are revealed, the solider finds the key to achieving her new goal: revenge.
It’s unfortunate it might just kill her in the end.

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

When I first read the blurb I really wasn't sure if I would like this book at all, and in the beginning I was really unsure if I was enjoying the book. But I couldn't put it down. This book is so utterly unlike anything else I have read that it really did take me a while to realise that I wasn't just enjoying this book, I was loving it.
I got 25% of the way into this book and I realised I had no idea what the main characters name was, I wondered how it was possible that I could have missed this. So I re-read it, before realising that her name is not mentioned. Not once. And not just in the early stages in the book, but in the books entirety. She is just the soldier.

The other thing that struck me as odd, but actually became one of the things I enjoyed most about this book is the lack of dialogue. There is very little, yes she interacts with others, and yes they do speak to her and sometimes she replies, but for the most part this book is more or less one giant monologue inside the soldiers head. We deal with how she is treated, how she reacts and feels, how she overcomes everything that is placed in front of her. And it is wonderful.

I cant help but feel that Raymond has been incredibly brave with her approach to writing this novel. I cannot think of another book that I have read that has been written in this way before. It was so beautifully written, so descriptive, that even the more gruesome of scenes seems almost beautiful. This is Raymonds debut novel and not only am I keen to see how her 'Life' series progresses I am keen to read more from her.

Ikira's review 5 of 5 stars

Let me start by saying; like Shona, I wasn't sure this would be my cup of tea (and I do like tea). I wasn't reluctant to start reading but I didn't jump into it. I started with just a chapter on day one, then another on day two. By day three, I found myself sneaking 5 minutes at every opportunity and got very frustrated if anyone interrupted my reading. I was hooked into it in every way.

The writing style was different to what I'm used to but that was definitely a good thing. It was refreshing and exciting. There was very little dialogue at all, mostly thoughts, feelings and scene setting. Speaking of which...I could really imagine everything in great detail. The scenes were set so perfectly, the images just came to me without any thought or effort on my part at all.

I really can't fault this book. I hope this author continues to write and I certainly hope to read more of her work! Congratulations on your debut Raymond!

Author bio:

Raymond lives in Calgary, AB Canada. She is is a wife to her once High School sweetheart and mother of a young daughter and son. She is a strong advocate of literacy and literature exposed to all from very young ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.