Sunday 31 January 2016

Spotlight and Review: Ultraxenopia by MA Phipps

Ultraxenopia (Project W.A.R. #1)Don’t stand out. Blend in. Remain invisible. Those are the rules I lived by—the rules I thought would keep me alive.

I was wrong.
Wynter Reeves is a law-abiding citizen of the State, a willing conformist whose daily life is haunted by terrorism and oppression. With the constant threat of death hanging over her like a shadow, she forces herself to live by a strict set of rules, all in the hope of ensuring she is never noticed. However, on her twenty-first birthday, as she prepares to take the placement exam that will determine her future within society, she begins to show symptoms of a rare and debilitating illness—ultimately attracting the attention of the State. Taken into the custody of the feared research facility known as the DSD, her worst nightmare becomes reality.
Ripped away from the life she knew, Wynter is forced to become the test subject of the mysterious Dr. Richter. Through him, she learns the true and terrifying nature of her condition: a disease called Ultraxenopia.

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

I'm not quite sure where to start with this review.. I didn't read the whole blurb before deciding to read this book. I read only the first few lines. Don’t stand out. Blend in. Remain invisible. Those are the rules I lived by—the rules I thought would keep me alive. But it was enough to grab my attention and it would not let it go.
It took me longer to read this than it should have done as some real life stuff got in the way, but for those days when I couldn't read it, the story line was playing round in my head, I was left wondering what the characters where up to and what they were going to do when I found my way back to them.

Some would say that the book ends on a cliffhanger, that's not really how I see it. The book ends, leaving room for the next book in the series, but there are things mentioned in this book that have no resolution. Think of the bigger picture, it may take another book or two (maybe more) to get all the answers. But if this book is anything to go by, the wait will be worth it.

Claire's review 5 of 5 Stars

When I first began reading this book, I had my reservations. In the first few chapters, when you hear that Wynter is required to take a test to see what field she should go into, it sounded very similar to Divergent, and that's what I was then expecting. What I didn't expect was a very well written novel that drew me into the story and was nothing like I imagined! In fact, I couldn't put it down once I started and read it in 2 sittings (would have been 1 but I needed to sleep).

This book really did draw you into the world of Wynter and the members of Pheonix, and the writing was so descriptive that you could imagine everything that was happening with ease. This is the first book in the Project W.A.R Series, and I cannot wait to get my hands on book two! The ending of this is a slight cliffhanger, and leaves many unanswered questions which I'm eager to know the answers to!

A fantastic debut!

Ikira's review 5 out of 5 stars

Offered this book to read for review for a debut author, I prepared myself for another book with either opposing points of view or a timeline which skipped in and out of the past..I was sooo pleased to find this author has written in a more traditional way.

Initially, I was reserved - the first couple of chapters were so different to what I'd read before that it took me a while to get into it. I put the book down after only 3 chapters and worried I might not find the inclination to try again but after a couple of hours, something dragged me back. It was nagging at me in the back of my mind. Once reading again, I soon became immersed in the futuristic world. The writing was fabulous, not a spelling mistake or grammatical error in sight (that I found, anyway) and the author had a way of drawing me in so well I didn't want to put it down this time. The descriptions were great and the detail was there every step of the way. The author left just enough information out to keep you reading on, waiting for the answers. Not everything was answered but the unanswered questions aren't of any import so I'll forgive her.

An extremely rare occurrence then happened - I stopped tracking how much was left to read and just soaked it up until I audibly shared my frustration at having reached the end without realising I was even close to it. What an amazing first book in the series. I'm certainly looking forward to the next book...please don't take too long!




M. A. PHIPPS is an American author who currently resides in the picturesque English West Country with her husband, daughter, and their Jack Russell, Milo. A lover of the written word, it has always been her dream to become a published author, and it is her hope to expand into multiple genres of fiction. When she isn’t writing, you can find her counting down the days until the new season of Game of Thrones.

Social Media Links



Book Links

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.