Monday 4 April 2016

Mean Sisters Review

Mean Sisters
Mean Sisters by Lindsay Emory


Synopsis

A sassy, hilariously funny murder mystery where the closest bonds of friendship might just kill you…!
Margot Blythe is a twenty-something year old who can’t seem to let her college glory days go. After all, everyone deserves a family of ‘sisters’ like she had. When she’s invited to speak at her alma mater, her homecoming reception isn’t exactly what she expected. Tragedy strikes and Margot has to step up, especially when foul play is suspected.
She’s going to save her fifty frazzled ‘sisters’, keep the suspicious (but dangerously cute) police officer at bay and find out the truth – could a sister have committed such an unimaginable sin as murder?
Margot is going to learn the real bond of sisterhood and maybe, just maybe, discover where she truly belongs.

Lisa's Review - 3.5 out of 5 stars

Take a bit of Mean Girls, a dash of Scream Queens, and a sprinkling of Legally Blonde, and you're pretty close to Mean Sisters! Step into a murder mystery in a college sorority house.

I am going to hold my hands up and admit I read absolutely none of the synopsis on this book. I was pulled in by the title and the cover, so when I started to read I was slightly thrown by the sorority side of it, especially as I have absolutely no clue about sororities or frat houses or so on except for what I have seen on the T.V. There was an awful lot of wording that went along with that side of the book, phrases or titles that threw me as I had no idea what they meant - I either learned along the way or had to guess and hope I got close! ( That said as I reached the end of my Kindle version I discovered a glossary that explained all these words and terms to me, if I had only realised it was there!)

Margot is sent to Sutton, back to her old sorority, to try and sort it out after some rumours have been spread, but very quickly after she arrives things go downhill when one of the sisters dies, and Margot has to step in to take over. Cue the murder mystery. Along the way she unravels lots of dark secrets about her fellow sisters and other sororities that threaten the perfect reputation of her beloved sorority, and it is down to Margot to save the day!

As a murder mystery, this was pretty weak. I would describe it more as chick lit with a side helping of murder mystery. Its light and fluffy with some humour, maybe not as much as I would have liked, the bitchyness you would expect from a book aimed at fans of Mean Girls would certainly have more.
There were a heck of a lot of characters to try and keep up with and it took some getting used to. There were a few that attributed to the ending of the book that were literally barely mentioned at the start so that threw me too as I had to scratch my brain to remember who they were. The main character, Margot, annoyed the heck out of me for about 3 quarters of the book too, which almost led to the book only getting a 2.5 star rating. It only improved as I warmed to her by the end of the book to the point I actually felt for her, and that the ending was slightly better than I had predicted it was going to be.
This is book 1 in the Sorority Sisters Mystery books, and I may be persuaded to read the next one!

Links

Goodreads        Lindsays website           Twitter

Purchase Links

Amazon UK    Amazon.com    KOBO   



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.