Friday 23 December 2016

Review: Open Gates by DT Dyllin

Open Gates (The P.J. Stone Gates Trilogy #3)P.J. Stone gets the answers to all her questions, but will she be able to handle the truth?

Bryn is gone, Jenna isn’t herself, and the world has been taken over by the alien Riders. The only constant in P.J.’s life is Khol, but even he might not be able to help pick up the shattered pieces of her existence. Will P.J. be strong enough to face her destiny when the time comes? Or will she lose everything, herself included?

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

Despite the fact this isn’t my first time reading this book I am seriously struggling with how to articulate my feelings for what I have just read. Reading the book for the second time has not lessened the blows that I knew where coming. Every thing that smacked me in the gut and had me bawling like a baby the first time round hit me exactly the same this time round.

The beginning of the book I kind of read in a trance like state, I was on auto pilot in much the same way PJ was, my poor Bryn was gone, I was heartbroken. When I first read the book I spent this early section hoping and praying (to Dyllin) that Bryn would come back in a mystical dragony type manoeuvre. It took several chapters before I finally accepted that wasn’t going to happen, and this time round my heart felt heavy with the knowledge that he was truly gone. Bear in mind I started reading this right after finishing broken gates, there was no months of recovering like last time, my lovely husband fetched me some chocolate from the shops to try and cheer me up because I was so upset.

PJ grows up so much in this book. I mean she just lost the love of her life, her Anam Cara. She’s pregnant and unsure who the father is. And she’s trying to save the world from the Riders. I guess she really doesn’t have a choice to do anything but grow up, and it does take her a while but she gets there. She becomes this super strong dragon queen who in the end makes such a big personal sacrifice that I again was an emotional wreck that my husband had to pick up off the floor. The PJ from the first book would most likely have crumpled up into a ball and rocked herself into oblivion.

This was a fantastic end to an amazing series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.