Wednesday 8 August 2018

Review: Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh

Thirteen (Eddie Flynn #4)They were Hollywood's hottest power couple. They had the world at their feet. Now one of them is dead and Hollywood star Robert Solomon is charged with the brutal murder of his beautiful wife.

This is the celebrity murder trial of the century and the defence want one man on their team: con artist turned lawyer Eddie Flynn.

All the evidence points to Robert's guilt, but as the trial begins a series of sinister incidents in the court room start to raise doubts in Eddie's mind.

What if there's more than one actor in the courtroom?

What if the killer isn't on trial? What if the killer is on the jury?

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

The tag line for this book is a real hook THE SERIAL KILLER ISN'T ON TRIAL. HE'S ON THE JURY... I know this because it pulled me in not once, not twice but three times. 
The first time was when I received the email from Netgalley telling me the book was available to request, the second time was when I purchased the audio book from audible, and the third time was when I purchased a paperback copy. This is what happens when you forget what books you have. And yet, not once did I read the actual blurb for this book so I failed to spot that this is in fact the fourth book in the Eddie Flynn series, that being said you don't need to read the first three books to enjoy this one. 

One of the things I loved about this book was getting inside the killers head, but still being completely oblivious to his real identity, knowing that he is working with someone but having no clue who that person could be. I loved following Eddie as he tries to pick his way through the case after being called in last minute. I didn't necessarily like being kept in the dark as he found clues to his clients innocence but it definitely added to the mystery as he revealed these things in the courtroom, and ramped up the excitement levels as the actual killer seethed from his seat on the jury as he felt his fellow jurors decisions being swayed.

I will be definitely looking for the first three books in this series and finding out more about Eddie Flynn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.