Tuesday 16 July 2013

DT Dyllin Author Interview

Ok I may need someone to pick me up off the floor when this is finished because we only have the wonderful DT Dyllin with us today. DT Dyllin the ONLY author I've read who has written a book/series so awesome that the hangover lasted weeks..

Hello and welcome to Booky Ramblings.

~Hello! *waves *

What inspired you to write your first book? And how did you come up with the title?

~My first book was ‘Enemy Through The Gates’ which became ‘Hidden Gates’ when I signed the trilogy with Dragonfairy Press. As cliché as it’s going to sound, I actually had a dream about P.J.’s world. I was then driven to turn it into a book/series. I had no choice. Lol And the original title is kind of self explanatory if you’ve read the book, but then I realized it was too close to ‘Enemy At The Gates’ and a bit of mouthful to boot. I wanted to keep gates in the title because I already had the trilogy logo to which I loved.

I thank you for the sexy dragons in The PJ Stone Gates Trilogy, how did you come up with that idea?

~You’re welcome. I’m glad you enjoy them. Hehe I was inspired to include dragons in my book because I’d just gotten the dragon tattoo on my foot. I love dragons…clearly. And although I’d dreamt up P.J.’s world, quite literally, the addition of dragons was an afterthought.

How much of your books are based on your life experiences?

~I do pull a lot from my real life. But I do twist it around. I obviously have never been involved with sexy dragons or been an empath etc. lol

Which of your novels have influenced your life the most?

~ Hmmm… I guess I’d have to say Hidden Gates because it made me realize that I wanted to focus on writing as a career.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

~This may sound silly but every writer I’ve ever read has served as a mentor. I’ve learned what I do or don’t want to do from other people’s successes and failures.

It’s no secret that you are one of my favourite authors, but which authors would you list as your favourites?

~Awe…thank you. That makes me so happy! :D As far as my favorite authors, my contemporary favs change all the time. I’m super fickle. But old school, definitely Jane Austin, Anne Rice (Sorry Anne you’re not really ‘old school’ but you were published before I was born so you go in this category by default.) the Bronte sisters, Shakespeare. I think you get the point. The older books are a part of me so I’m not fickle with them.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

~I always want to redo everything. So I’d probably start all over again from scratch.

Can you share a little of your current work with us? Please. I have had a serious book hangover since I finished reading Feeling Death and I could do with a pick me up ;-)

~Weeelll… I’m working on Embracing Death now. I hope to be done by the end of July. I just keep getting distracted by other projects. But I’ll give you a teaser and this is the first place I’m sharing it. Ready? Here it is, the prologue:
If you sit in the dark long enough, your eyes will adjust.

If you completely immerse yourself in death, eventually it will welcome you home

into its sweet embrace.

Who designs your covers?

~Lindsay Tiry did the first two in The P.J. Stone Gates Trilogy and of course will be doing the third. Frederico Bebber did the artwork but not the complete design for the Feeling Death cover. We’ll also be using his work for the next two. I got lucky to have two such amazing artists available to me.

What was the hardest part of writing Feeling Death?

~Giving away too much too soon.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

~Always write what you want to write, and although constructive criticism should be considered, ultimately write a book you would want to read. 

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

~Thank you to everyone who has given any of my books a shot. Whether you liked them or not, I truly appreciate it.

Thank you so much for joining us today.

~Thanks for inviting me, Shona! Big Hugs! 

I think I made it without completely fan-girling and passing out.. but only just.
So for those of you who dont know DT Dyllin yet, here's her links so you can stalk her like I do, erm I mean find out more about her work and stuff ;-)

dtdyllin
Cynical-Optimist.
Chocolate-holic. Sarcasm Addict. Paranormal Believer. Romance Junkie.
Self Imposed Insomniac. Animal Lover. Writer.


Purchase links:


And since DT DYllin is such a big romance junkie she has been pimping The Romance Novel Convention, which I only realised the other day was a 'thing', (I sometimes think the UK is completely backwards about promoting authors and books). Well if you fancy a  few days in Las Vegas surrounded by some pretty awesome authors then it's not to late to book yourself a place.

August 7-11 ~ The Romance Novel Convention presented by Jimmy Thomas

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting me on your blog today, Shona! You know I <3 you big time! And you crack me up about just figuring out The Romance Novel Convention is a "thing". LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! Can't wait for Embracing Death

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly it was my pleasure <3
    And what can I say,.. I've lived a 'sheltered' life lol

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.