Wednesday 21 May 2014

Taking Charge Review

Taking Charge
Taking Charge by Mandy Baggot




Synopsis

Is going back Robyn s only way forward? American-born Robyn Matthers is going home. With her dad in hospital, his roadhouse in ruins and the ice hockey team slipping down the league, she needs to take charge. But does she have the strength to do it? Cole Ryan is a hockey player on a personal mission. He s tall, dark, hot and Robyn s noticed But can she trust her feelings - or his? And what will Cole do when he finds out the truth about her? Robyn returns to Michigan and things aren t quite the same. Her best friend has grown up and is thinking about marriage and babies, the ice hockey team is no longer the life blood of the community and her father is engaged When Robyn s twin cousins drag up past events that hold painful memories for her, she and Cole are forced together. But are either of them ready to start something new? With an ill father, a trailer trash almost step-mom and ex-boyfriend Brad desperate for another chance, does Robyn have time to contemplate a relationship? Does she really want one? And is it physically possible for two people to fall in love in just three days?



Lisa's Review - 5 out of 5 stars

Every time I pick up a different book by Mandy, I think 'how is this one going to be as good as the last one?' but somehow, Mandy manages it every time! I also tend to have a favourite book by each other, but my Mandy pile keeps growing, and Taking Charge has just been added to it!
From the very start, Robyn is a bolshie, stubborn and not your run of the mill, typical female lead character in a romance book - and that is exactly why I loved her. Tough and headstrong, Robyn has a job to do and sets out to do it. Meeting Cole at the airport she isn't backwards in coming forward. I adored the relationship that blossomed between the two of them.  Mandy reduced me to tears with Robyn's past,  but it just made me root for Robyn even more.
Of course it isn't a Mandy Baggot book without a hot male lead, and Cole was amazing, but my favourite thing about him was how brilliant he was for Robyn. I think I can honestly say that for once, I almost overlooked how hot and scrummy the male character was because I had more of a girl crush on Robyn!!
There was a whole heap of brilliant characters in Taking Charge, from Robyn's creepy twin cousins, the trampy almost mother in law who turns out to be a pretty fab woman, the obsessed ex, and the grumpy old men in hospital - but my favourites were the other guys from the ice hockey team. I can honestly say I know zilch about ice hockey, but their loyalty to their failing team and the hilarious moments had me rooting on the team to win anyway!
Taking Charge had the perfect ending, and if love stories like this exist in the real world, three days, 3 weeks, 3 months...who cares when people can love each other that much?!

Links

Goodreads    Mandy Baggot

Purchase Links

Amazon.com     Amazon UK     B&N    



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.