Friday 6 March 2015

Review: Fragile Lies by Laura Elliot

Fragile Lies
His name is Michael Carmody. He is a writer and a father. His son is lying in a coma, fighting for his life.
Her name is Lorraine Cheevers. She is an artist and mother. An illicit affair has destroyed her marriage.
Michael is desperate to find the couple who left his son for dead, a victim of a hit and run.
Lorraine is desperate to start a new life for her and her daughter.
Michael and Lorraine are about to cross paths – damaged souls, drawn to one another.
They don’t know that their lives are already connected.
They don’t know the web of lies surrounding them.
They are each searching for the truth.
But when they find it, it could destroy them both.

Fragile Lies is a gripping tale of love and betrayal, which will entice fans of Liane Moriarty, Lucie Whitehouse and Jane Shemilt’s Daughter.

Note: previously published as ‘Deceptions.’

Shona's review 3 of 5 stars 

I need to be really honest here and admit that I almost didn't finish this. It took me a few days and several bursts of reading to get to 30% and I really did consider putting it down and stepping away.

The problem I had was with the narration and the way the text would jump from one scene to another with no discernible move, We would be in the middle of a scene in one paragraph and in the next we would be at a different house with different characters and we would be seeing the narration from a different character (though its all narrated in third person) (usually between Lorraine and her daughter)....  The jumpy narration made it difficult for me to focus and stay involved, to the point that at 27% I couldn't even keep some of the main characters straight. 

I found that reading for longer periods of time made it easier to read the narration (I guess it took a little while to become accustomed to it) and made it easier to keep reading too. I actually finished the last 70% of the book in just a few short hours. 

In the end I'm glad I continued reading on. While it may not be the 4 or 5 star read I had hoped for I did enjoy it. There were a fair few twists and a certain amount of mystery in the plot.  I did however feel the ending wasn't quite what it should have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.