Wednesday 29 July 2015

Review: The Blue by Lucy Clarke

The Blue
They had found paradise.
What would they do to keep it?
With a quick spin of the globe, Kitty and Lana escape their grey reality and journey to the Philippines.
There they discover The Blue – a beautiful yacht, with a wandering crew.
They spend day after languorous day exploring the pristine white beaches and swimming beneath the stars, and Lana drifts further away from the long-buried secrets of home.
But the tide turns when death creeps quietly on deck.
A dangerous swell of mistrust and lies threatens to bring the crew’s adventures to an end – but some won’t let paradise go…whatever the price.

Shona's review 2 of 5 stars

When I first read the synopsis for this book I thought it sounded amazing and I couldn't wait to slip between its pages... But the reality was, I was left disappointed.

Lana is the narrator of this tale, but she tells it from 2 different time periods, Then, Now, with a little bit of before when her and Kitty were just girls thrown in. This constant back and forth is one of the problems I had with this story, while many may enjoy the mystery it weaves, I felt like we never really got a chance to know anyone, all of our feelings for characters where clouded by Lana's feelings after leaving The Blue. And yes considering how the story plays out this is very cleverly done by Clarke, but for me it was a bit of a sticking point.

Because of the constant switching from Then and Now we only get glimpses of the story, of what really happened , and for me the story unfolded just too slowly. On more than one occasion I almost put the book down and walked away. To be honest it was sheer determination to find out who was responsible for what that made me stick with it.

Don't get me wrong, there were moments that literally had me on the edge of my seat, and I will admit that the revelations of who was responsible for certain things shocked me, some more than others, I just didn't think there was enough of those moments to make this the book it deserved to be.



The Blue is available for Pre-order now. 
Release date is 30th July 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.