Friday 6 November 2015

Review: Life and Death Twilight Reimagined by Stephenie Meyer

Celebrate the tenth anniversary of Twilight! This special double-feature book includes the classic novel, Twilight, and a bold and surprising reimagining, Life and Death, by Stephenie Meyer. Packaged as an oversize, jacketed hardcover "flip book," this edition features nearly 400 pages of new content as well as exquisite new back cover art. Readers will relish experiencing the deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful love story of Bella and Edward through fresh eyes.

When Beaufort Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious Edythe Cullen, his life takes a terrifying turn. With her porcelain skin, golden eyes., mesmerising voice, and supernatural gifts, Edythe is both irresistible and enigmatic.
What Beau doesn't realise is that the closer he gets to her the more he is putting himself and those around him at risk. And, it might be too late to turn back. 

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

I loved Twilight (and the rest of the saga too), over the years I've lost count of how many times I have read those books, and with every re-read I find myself in love with them a little bit more. Obviously the retelling IS Bella and Edwards story, but Beau and Edythe make this story very much their own. What Meyer has given me (and no doubt countless others) is the chance to read one of my favourite books for the very first time again.  And I cant thank Meyer enough.
Sure I'm one of the millions of fans who would have loved to see Midnight Sun finished, but you know what, I am so over alternate POV's everyone is throwing those out and to be honest they don't even read like a different book. Meyers idea to switch up the genders on almost all of the characters in my opinion was freaking genius.

Do not be mistaken, this is NOT a word for word carbon copy of the original (which you get with most alternate POV books), yes it is the same story with the same situations (for the most part) but they have been changed to accommodate the fact that the genders have been switched, so no Beau does not go to Port Angeles to buy dresses for the dance with his girl friends but he does go to Port Angeles. Meyer has tweaked the dialogue in places, changed a word or two here and there and has essentially given us a smoother read. Not to mention a completely different ending. That I just love.

I have a few issues with this book though...
1. Some of the name changes were a little weird. Like Jessamine and Royal. Really? those were the only J and R names to spring to mind?
2. Meyer mentions in her foreword that Beau is essentially Bella with just a few minor changes, like Beau is more OCD than Bella. in the entire book there is ONE mention of Beau being even slightly OCD when he mentions how he has organised the cleaning products in the cupboard alphabetically. Really?
3. How freaking heavy the hardback copy of this book is. I love it, but its too darn heavy to hold in some of the positions I like to read in.
With the exception of the heavy book, those issues did not affect my ability to read and enjoy the book. Will I read this Beau and Edythes story again?? Hells yeah, though I'll probably get myself the ebook version and read it on my kindle to prevent wrist strain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.