Monday 14 December 2015

Review: A Different Side by CM Doporto

A Different Side (University Park, #4)The highly anticipated story from the University Park Series.
Park Hill University’s star quarterback, Raven Davenport, has every woman dying to get caught in his trap, but he’s only interested in catching one girl – Lexi Thompson. But will he learn how to deal with his inner demons or will they continue to control him to the point of destroying what he loves most? Hear Raven and Lexi's story from a different side.

Shona's review 3 of 5 stars 

This book can be read as a standalone, I don't know that I would recommend reading it this way though. The idea behind reading the series from Raven's point of view is to garner more sympathy for him, an inside look at what he has experienced and the inner demons that help drag him down... however, I felt as though the information that led to me feeling even a little bit sympathetic to his cause came too little too late. Perhaps I would have warmed to The Raven a little earlier if I had read the original books in the series from Lexi's POV first, at least then I would have had the opportunity to see him through Lexi's rose tinted glasses. 

Mostly I felt that Ravens ego was bigger than he was. Every female he came in to contact with clearly wanted him.. or at least that's the way he felt, there was a few scenes were I'm pretty certain the female was just being polite, but he assumed she was after more.. The constant referral to the ravens trap really started to grate on me... especially when used in reference to Lexi, the girl he swore he was falling for... treating it like it was some kind of a game... the guy doesn't respect himself let alone the girls he is with, so I'm not sure how I was supposed to respect him. To be honest this guy slept with so many people I'm actually struggling to figure out why/how the girls found him attractive. #Manwhore

I may not have loved The Raven, I may not even have liked him at various points, I did genuinely enjoy the sweeter moments of his relationship with Lexi. There are some points in the book that I felt should have been elaborated on a little more, but since this is a retelling I suppose I cant expect everything that needs to be resolved featured in this version of events, so if I want those I'll need to read from Lexi's POV.
Raven and Lexi's story intrigued me enough to keep reading til the end, but if I'm being honest I was happy to put the book down mid chapter and leave it for several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.